This week, students up and down the UK will find out their results and firm up their university choices. It can be a stressful and confusing time – but also an opportunity to find the right path for you. So if things don’t go as expected, don’t fret. Clearing is a chance to open up new possibilities and perspectives. Here’s your guide to Clearing 2022.
Check if you can apply through Clearing
Firstly, it’s important to double-check whether you are eligible to apply through Clearing. You can use Clearing if:
- You’re applying via UCAS after 30 June.
- You didn’t receive or didn’t want to accept any UCAS offers.
- You didn’t meet the conditions of your UCAS offers.
- You’ve paid the multiple choice application fee of £26.50 with UCAS.
- You’ve declined your firm place using the ‘decline my place’ button in the UCAS hub.
Do your research before results day
Results day can be busy and frantic, so preparation is critical in saving you time and stress in the long run:
- Even though you won’t know your grades yet, it’s helpful to prepare your options in advance to see which courses you would be open to applying to. Are you interested in learning about global challenges through the lenses of Africa, Asia and the Middle East? SOAS may be the right choice for you.
- Check the UCAS website for a list of programmes that are open for Clearing. You may not find the course you’re looking for straight away, but course availability will be updated regularly, so be sure to keep checking.
- Be open and flexible to new courses you may not have considered previously. Want to study Economics and Arabic? Interested in History but want to focus on Africa and the Black Diaspora? SOAS courses are unique.
- If you don’t manage to get the grades needed, you may want to consider a Foundation Year where you’ll get a guaranteed position at university the following year.
What to do on results day
- You can check if you are in Clearing on the UCAS page.
- Before you make your call, make sure to have your UCAS number, Clearing ID number, results, and course choices ready.
- You must have already received your qualifications before you can submit an application for consideration.
- Call the SOAS Clearing Hotline: 0203 912 6580. This is the time when you can find out what courses you are eligible for with your grades and ask any questions you may have.
Thursday 18 August 2022 – 8 am until 8 pm
Friday 19 August 2022 – 8 am until 6 pm
Saturday 20 August 2022 – 9 am until 5 pm
It’s decision time
Picking a university to go to should be the right decision for you. So consider the whole package of the university experience: the course curriculum, student life, accommodation, rankings and job prospects. Hear what SOAS is like from a recent SOAS grad.
Once you’ve decided where you want to study, head to your UCAS Hub, select ‘Add Clearing Choice’, and fill in the course details. You’ll need to do this by the deadline you’ve been given in your informal offer. This lets the university know that you’re accepting their offer.
And finally, good luck! It’s an exciting time full of new opportunities. If you decide to join SOAS, we look forward to welcoming you to campus in September!
Find more information on the SOAS Clearing 2022 website. Call the SOAS Clearing Hotline: 0203 912 6580.